[neomutt-users] How to stop <tag-thread> from jumping to next item

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Thu Jul 9 16:56:59 CEST 2020

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 02:00:08PM +0000, Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> On Jul 09 2020, 13:24 UTC, Sam Kuper wrote:
>> In the "index" screen, if I invoke <tag-thread>, then in addition to
>> tagging the thread, Mutt also moves (jumps) the cursor/highlight to
>> the next thread, as though <next-thread> had also been invoked.
>> Searching the manual and the Web has not so far helped me to
>> understand why this happens.
>
> when `resolve` is set to true, if you tag something, the cursor is
> moved after the tagged thing:
>
> 1. tag a message -> cursor to next message
> 2. tag a subthread -> cursor to next subthread
> 3. tag a thread -> cursor to the next thread

Sorry for omitting to mention that it also happens with <tag>.  (I
haven't tested <tag-subthread>, but I'm sure you're right about this as
well.)

And thank you for clarifying that `resolve=no` is the setting I was
looking for!  :)

>> The reason I think the behaviour I am experiencing might be
>> intentional (even though I personally find it undesirable; it
>> violates POLA*) is due to this stanza in curs_main.c:
>
> What do you think a less astonishing behaviour would be?

The least astonishing behaviour would be for <tag-thread> to tag the
current item and not do anything else.  Etc.

In practice, this means that in my view, the default value for `resolve`
would be `no`.

(I appreciate that other people might find the existing behaviour
(`resolve=yes`) preferable.  Having not looked into the history of the
`resolve` configuration variable, at the moment I can only speculate.
Probably there would have been some discussion about it on a mailing
list when that variable was introduced.)

Thank you again for your speedy help!

Sam

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.