[neomutt-users] problems with neomutt 20191207: TAB completion, resuming drafts

Richard Cobbe rcobbe at rcobbe.net
Mon Jan 13 17:07:27 CET 2020

I use neomutt as packaged by macports, and a couple of features seem to
have broken between 20180716 and 20191207.  I've been a bit dilatory with
updates, so I'm afraid I can't be more precise.

First, I'm no longer able to recall a postponed message.  When I'm
composing a message, if I save it, quit my editor, return to mutt, and hit
postpone-message, it saves the message to $postponed -- but the next time I
start to compose a new message, it doesn't ask me if I want to recover an
earlier draft.  I've got $recall=ask-yes.

Second, I'm having trouble with Neomutt's tab-completion on folder names.
If I'm looking at a message and hit S to save it to a folder, then
something like "=prefix" at the prompt for the folder name and hit TAB to
auto-complete, nothing happens, even when there are multiple folders
beginning with "prefix".

It might be an acceptable workaround to have all of my folders show up in
the sidebar, just so I can see the list myself, but there doesn't seem to
be a way to do that without manually listing all of the mailboxes and
keeping them up-to-date.

Are these known problems?

It may be relevant that I'm using neomutt's built-in IMAP support to
connect to pobox.com, and that they do the somewhat unusual thing of having
all of my folders except INBOX be subfolders of INBOX -- so I've got the
following settings in muttrc:

    set spoolfile=imaps://rcobbe@pobox.com@mail.pobox.com/INBOX
    set folder=imaps://rcobbe@pobox.com@mail.pobox.com/INBOX

And this works fine if I type out the full name of the folder, for both
saving messages to folders and reading existing folders.

Thanks much,

Richard