[neomutt-users] Changes: Windows

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Wed Jan 22 14:09:15 CET 2020

# Changes

The next release of NeoMutt will contain some changes to the windows.
This is part of the effort to modernise the code.

Here are some diagrams (with some future ideas too)

- https://github.com/neomutt/gfx/blob/master/layout/README.md#layout

But what's different?  Two things...

# Status Bar

The status bar is now slightly shorter when you're using the sidebar.
This bar is tightly bound to the index window.

Whether you're in the index, or pager, the status bar will be next to
(and the same size as) the index window.

# Sidebar

I like the sidebar, but some people don't.  I think I can see why not.

The sidebar shows lots of useful information, but it takes up space.
Always.  It was always there!  Not any more.

Now, the sidebar is part of the index 'dialog'.  It only appears there.
It doesn't show up when composing email, selecting an address, reading
the help, etc

It's only visible in the places when it's actually usable.
Now that it doesn't waste space, more people might use it.

# Technical bit

There used to be several windows that got recycled/reused a lot.
Now, each 'dialog' gets its own window, which simplifies the code and
helps to separate the data.

# Future Ideas

The new window system make is possible to consider new layouts.
Here are some ideas:

- Compose
  Make the envelope window bigger (dynamically)
  Wrap the addresses, so more are readable

- Widescreen mode
  Display the pager to the right of the index

- Magic Sidebar
  Auto-hide the sidebar when not in use

- Magic Status Bar
  Turn off the status bar for a full-screen mode

# Help

Please Help!

There are only *three* developers and there's so much we want to do.
Anything you can do to help, will give us more time to fix bugs and
create new features!

What can I do to help?

- Write help for beginners
  - Simple How-Tos
  - Screenshots
  - Sample config
- Translations - https://neomutt.org/translate
- Answering questions on:
  - This mailing list
  - GitHub
  - IRC - #neomutt / irc.freenode.net
- Report bugs - https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/issues

Most of all, we need people to help organise the above.

You could also show your appreciation with a small donation :-)

- http://paypal.me/russon
- BTC: 1Kfx6ytgPFKLWmDcEmGuJenx37TUMPThYT

Cheers,
    Rich / FlatCap