[neomutt-users] *-hook settings. I'm confused

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Wed Aug 7 16:47:42 CEST 2019

> It is probably much easier to write something new than fixing those
> things that are beyond repair?

I'm old/experienced enough to know that re-writing a program from
scratch is seldom a good idea.  Especially one as large and complicated
as Mutt.

There were several reasons for fixing the code, rather than rewriting.

The original plan was to feed our improvements to upstream Mutt,
but they weren't receptive to my changes/improvements.

Fixing the code piecemeal means that we always have a working program.
Writing from scratch could take years to implement a fraction of Mutt's
capabilities.

It's easier to attract users/developers to something that already works.

> Since C is also not a good language,

Are you trying to start a flame war? ;-)

Currently, I'm fixing NeoMutt's architecture.
Once NeoMutt is using Object-Oriented (OO) principles,
then it could be upgraded to C++.

> may neomutt can re-write it in Rust?

I don't know Rust.
I don't have a team of expert Rust developers around me.
I doubt you're offering to help mentor me in Rust.

So sorry, Rust's a non-starter.

Cheers,
    Rich / FlatCap