[neomutt-users] *-hook settings. I'm confused

GTC at riseup.net GTC at riseup.net
Wed Aug 7 17:11:43 CEST 2019

On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 03:47:42PM +0100, Richard Russon wrote:
> > It is probably much easier to write something new than fixing those
> > things that are beyond repair?
>
> I'm old/experienced enough to know that re-writing a program from
> scratch is seldom a good idea.  Especially one as large and complicated
> as Mutt.
>
> There were several reasons for fixing the code, rather than rewriting.
>
> The original plan was to feed our improvements to upstream Mutt,
> but they weren't receptive to my changes/improvements.
>
> Fixing the code piecemeal means that we always have a working program.
> Writing from scratch could take years to implement a fraction of Mutt's
> capabilities.
>
> It's easier to attract users/developers to something that already works.
>
> > Since C is also not a good language,
>
> Are you trying to start a flame war? ;-)
>
> Currently, I'm fixing NeoMutt's architecture.
> Once NeoMutt is using Object-Oriented (OO) principles,
> then it could be upgraded to C++.
>
> > may neomutt can re-write it in Rust?
>
> I don't know Rust.
> I don't have a team of expert Rust developers around me.
> I doubt you're offering to help mentor me in Rust.
>
> So sorry, Rust's a non-starter.
>
> Cheers,
>     Rich / FlatCap

I am not trying to start a flame war. Obviously, it seems sometimes, thousands of lines of code is one language can be equallly achieved in just a few lines or dozens of lines of code in another programming language, with efficient use of smart library.

Maybe, just maybe, 100, 000 lines of old mutt C code can be written or translated in just thousands, or even hundreds of lines of code in another language.

Ryan