[neomutt-users] Query: Attach file

Floyd Anderson f.a at 31c0.net
Tue Sep 5 11:04:15 CEST 2017

On Fr, 01 Sep 00:35:58 +0000
Ben McGinnes <ben at adversary.org> wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 09:36:06PM +0200, Floyd Anderson wrote:
>> On Do, 10 Aug 17:06:12 +0200
>> Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie at lxtec.de> wrote:
>> > * Andrew Duchowski <aduchow at clemson.edu> [2017-08-10 10:28 -0400]:

>> > I can confirm this behaviour. And that isn't what we really want to
>> > have. I don't know which version worked like it should.
>>
>> Just to mention a different experience and expected behaviour on earlier
>> versions — I’m using ‘mbox_type=Maildir’ and ‘mask="."’ and I *cannot*
>> confirm the described issue for:
>>
>>  - NeoMutt 20170428 (1.8.2)
>>  - NeoMutt 20170602 (1.8.3)
>
>I, however, can confirm it in this version:
>
>  - NeoMutt 20170714 (1.8.3)
>
>Attaching any file and any additional file always starts the file
>browser in the same directory as the current email listing.  Since I
>use Maildir instead of mbox, this means a long walk to go find each
>file (or remembering the full path(s) for each thing.

When using the change-dir command and tab completion for the navigation
and the Up/Down cursor keys for additional attachments afterwards, there
is not so much to remember and it shorten probably long walks — but only
for already used directories.

In the meantime I updated to NeoMutt 20170714-155-820ab5 (1.8.3) and the
issue has been recognised by me also. Some testing discovers reverting
the commit 238af96 [1] changes NeoMutt’s behaviour — initially the file
attaching starts in Maildir location (set by folder variable) and with
current mailbox selected. All following starts in last (either used by
attach-file or chosen with change-dir) directory.

Because I do not use Notmuch reverting the commit seems currently fine
for *me* but only as a quick ’n dirty solution because my gut feeling
says either the commit jumps too short or the function _mutt_select_file
in browser.c must be also adapted with regard to flags.

Unfortunately this is over my head but nevertheless helps someone else.

[1] <https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/commit/238af96eb3f9bbe99f1a2dd580c2b72cde662618>

--
Regards,
floyd