[neomutt-devel] NeoMutt patches

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Sat Apr 15 15:43:02 CEST 2017

Hi ng0,

> > This development release of NeoMutt marks a turning point.
> > From now on, I won't be creating patches against upstream Mutt.

> may I understand this neomutt becoming a microfork
> rather than a project which contributes back to mutt?

Yes.

We're only a small group, but we're developing more quickly than
upstream are willing to move.

While we were adding features, there was still the possibility of
upstream adopting our work.  But we developers aren't content with just
adding frills; we want to fix the core of Mutt.

To do this we need to be able to refactor large sections of Mutt's code.

We started by spending a month tidying up the code.  It's much easier to
enforce good coding standards if the code follows them.  These changes
will make development easier, but push us further away from upstream.

Rich / FlatCap