[neomutt-users] A (search|notmuch)-(centric|only) setup: questions and a small problem

Guillaume Brogi gui-gui at netcourrier.com
Sat Oct 14 09:30:51 CEST 2017

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 08:26:02PM +0200, Baptiste Grenier wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi there !

> So I'm not really a new mutt nor neomutt user, and I've been using notmuch
> for search since quite a long time using notmuch-mutt.
>
> I'm currently interested in changing my habits in order to have a more
> search-centric mail workflow, so I started to look more closely at the
> notmuch integration provided by neomutt.

I have been using neomutt+notmuch for about a year now, but I was using
sup before.

> I'm currently running the neomutt git version available in Archlinux,
> syncing some gmail-based emails using mbsync, and doing an initial tagging
> with afew launched as a post-new hook by notmuch.

Pretty standard fare. I don't use afew myself because I don't have a lot
of auto tagging to do, but I know others do and it's the go-to tool.

> I did also test things using the notmuch conf example available on the
> neomutt website: https://www.neomutt.org/feature/notmuch (and this file do
> not work as it is (it throws a couple errors) with the actual stable and git
> versions).

If possible, can you raise an issue on github. The doc is supposed to
work, but it's not always kept up to date. What, exactly, didn't work ?

> So first I wasn't able to use the following:
>
> ignore *
> unignore tags: folder:
>
> To get it working I had to remove the : at the end. But the following works
> and have been working for years:
>
> ignore *
> unignore message-id:

Can't comment about that since I always wrote it without the ":". We
usually stick close to mutt's behaviour, so this could be an involuntary
change, or maybe it was an undocumented (or at least unknown by the
team) behaviour. Again, you can raise an issue on github or find us on
#neomutt in freenode's IRC.

> I'm also looking for some best practicies, ideas, advices and feedback (like
> deletion/trash management, Gmai's "All Mail" folder management, initial
> tagging, important mail flagging, sent management...) on setting up and
> using such a conf based only on notmuch virtual mailboxes.
> Unfortunately it seems that there is still only few documentation on the net
> about on this approach.

I don't have a lot of best practices. I think it really depends on your
workflow. I do have one tip which I just can't live without now: put
your sent emails in the same folder as the received emails.
Other than that, I just have a binding to toggle the inbox/archive tags
so that I can clear up my inbox without really doing so.

> If someone published a dotfiles repo with a similar setup somewhere I would
> be very happy to have a look at it :)

I don't have a lot of config about notmuch in my neomuttrc, but I can
share it if you want: https://gist.github.com/4369f5e802c2668d75bb4785e7a9c09c

> I will also happily discuss the benefits/problems of sending flowed emails
> and potential policies about this... Thanks! :)

No opinion there. Though I do not send flowed emails myself.

Cheers,

--
guiniol