[neomutt-users] A (search|notmuch)-(centric|only) setup: questions and a small problem

Baptiste Grenier baptiste at bapt.name
Tue Oct 10 20:26:02 CEST 2017

Hi all,

So I'm not really a new mutt nor neomutt user, and I've been using
notmuch for search since quite a long time using notmuch-mutt.

I'm currently interested in changing my habits in order to have a more
search-centric mail workflow, so I started to look more closely at the
notmuch integration provided by neomutt.

I'm currently running the neomutt git version available in Archlinux,
syncing some gmail-based emails using mbsync, and doing an initial
tagging with afew launched as a post-new hook by notmuch.

I did also test things using the notmuch conf example available on the
neomutt website: https://www.neomutt.org/feature/notmuch (and this file
do not work as it is (it throws a couple errors) with the actual stable
and git versions).

So first I wasn't able to use the following:

ignore *
unignore tags: folder:

To get it working I had to remove the : at the end. But the following
works and have been working for years:

ignore *
unignore message-id:

I'm also looking for some best practicies, ideas, advices and feedback
(like deletion/trash management, Gmai's "All Mail" folder management,
initial tagging, important mail flagging, sent management...) on setting
up and using such a conf based only on notmuch virtual mailboxes.
Unfortunately it seems that there is still only few documentation on the
net about on this approach.

If someone published a dotfiles repo with a similar setup somewhere I
would be very happy to have a look at it :)

I will also happily discuss the benefits/problems of sending flowed
emails and potential policies about this... Thanks! :)

Cheers,
Baptiste

--

To teach is to learn twice.