[neomutt-users] Mutt additional packages

Kenneth Flak kennethflak at protonmail.com
Sun May 14 08:56:36 CEST 2023

On 14 May 2023  02:22, Kusoneko wrote:
>Hi,
>

>May 13, 2023 19:03:15 H <agents at meddatainc.com>:
>
>> Running CentOS 7 and looking for the following packages used with mutt/neomutt as described by https://www.dj-bauer.de/once-forever-mutt-configuration-en.html:
>>
>> - notmuch (tag mails). https://notmuchmail.org/ and https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/notmuch does not list Fedora EPEL 7.
>> - msmtp (send mails). Found in EPEL 7.
>> - offlineimap (sync mails). Would isync be a substitute?
>
>Yes, using the mbsync utility of isync is generally how most people I know of who use mutt/neomutt sync their email.
Agreed! I used offlineimap in the olden days, but I found mbsync to be _much_ faster...

>> The article above also mentions:
>>
>> - khard (contacts book). Looks like it might be a KDE app, I need a Gnome app instead.
>
>As stated by someone else, this isn't a gnome/kde app. I personally use abook[0] instead however.
>
>> - vdirsyncer (sync contacts). Found it at https://github.com/pimutils/vdirsyncer.
>> - cron (automate scripts). Part of the OS.
You could also look into systemd services/timers to schedule events. I use these user services (place them in ~/.config/systemd/user/ and activate them with systemctl --user enable --now <name>.timer):

mailsync.service:
[Unit]
Description=Sync calendars and contacts

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/home/kf/bin/mail-sync.sh

mailsync.timer:
[Unit]
Description=Sync mail every 30 seconds

[Timer]
OnBootSec=5min
OnUnitActiveSec=30sec

[Install]
WantedBy=timers.target

---
bin/mail-sync.sh:

#!/bin/sh

MBSYNC=$(pgrep mbsync)
NOTMUCH=$(pgrep notmuch)

if [ -n "$MBSYNC" -o -n "$NOTMUCH" ]; then
     echo "Already running one instance of mail-sync. Exiting..."
     exit 0
fi

echo "Deleting messages tagged as *deleted*"
notmuch search --format=text0 --output=files tag:deleted | xargs -0 --no-run-if-empty rm -v

mbsync -a
notmuch new

vdirsyncer.service:

[Unit]
Description=Sync calendars and contacts

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/usr/bin/vdirsyncer sync

vdirsyncer.timer:

[Unit]
Description=Sync address book every 30 minutes and on boot

[Timer]
OnBootSec=5min
OnUnitActiveSec=30min

[Install]