[neomutt-users] regular segfaults on MacOS with Office365 mail?

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Feb 15 23:12:35 CET 2023

Hi,

I regularly get segfaults from neomutt on MacOS X (12.3.x) when switching back and forth between two imaps connections.  One of these is a connection to dovecot and works reliably with password authentication.  The other is an office365 connection which is authenticated via xoauth2.  I am not using the contributed oauth mechanism, which I never managed to get working, but instead the pizauth daemon.  It works, and the daemon doesn't crash; just neomutt.  I used to get this with password authentication, too, but it seems to happen a lot more now (presumably because of the reauthentication that has to keep happening).

There are entries in the messages in Console.  The obvious piece looks like this:

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000004
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000004
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Region Info: 0x4 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 4309630972
       REGION TYPE                    START - END         [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD  REGION DETAIL
       UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->
       __TEXT                      100dfc000-100f10000    [ 1104K] r-x/r-x SM=COW  ...rew/*/neomutt

Kernel Triage:
VM - Compressor failed a blocking pager_get
VM - Compressor failed a blocking pager_get
VM - Compressor failed a blocking pager_get
VM - Compressor failed a blocking pager_get
VM - Compressor failed a blocking pager_get

(But the report is much longer and I'm happy to upload it somewhere if that's useful & if I can figure out whether there's any shared secret in the dump.)

Any clues?

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com