[neomutt-users] basic configuration in simple english

christophe lalanne chl at aliquote.org
Tue Sep 13 13:12:14 CEST 2022

On 2022-09-13 06:53, jindam, vani wrote:
>hello neomutters,
>
>i have installed neomutt. i have few
>questions. please let me know in
>simple english. my primary purpose of
>email is to send & receive emails,
>filter incoming messages into various
>group & to decide switch permanently
>to cli client. i am at present subscribed
>to half a dozen mailing lists. for
>some reason i found official guides
>too much confusing. for ex: do i
>require packages to send & receive emails?
>
>"it" always refer to neomutt.
>
>* does it include packages necessary
>to send & receive email?
>  ** if no, where can i find guides or
>kb explain settings in great detail
>showing configuration
>
>* encrypt all outgoing email by default.
>i am unreasonable human who wants to
>encrypt all of my outgoing emails until
>'autocrypt' is adopted by top 10 webmail
>or email isps.
>  ** does it handle smoothly encrypted
>emails w/o my intervention as much less
>as possible

Sure, the manual explains the options available, but there's also some
sample configuration in /usr/share/doc/neomutt/samples/gpg.rc.gz (on
Ubuntu), which contains default values that should work if you have
gpgme installed.

I have the following settings in my muttrc config file:

set crypt_autoencrypt = no
set crypt_autopgp = yes
set crypt_autosign = no
set crypt_replysign = yes
set crypt_replysignencrypted = yes
set crypt_use_gpgme = yes
set crypt_verify_sig = yes
set pgp_self_encrypt = yes
set pgp_sign_as = <YOUR_PGP_HASH>
set pgp_use_gpg_agent = yes

This way, messages are not signed by default, but before sending a
message I can simply press p and I get a dialog asking if I want to
crypt and/or sign the outgoing message. If you prefer to always encrypt
your message, check the relevant options.

--
christophe lalanne
152E3E3F7C4CCE44