[neomutt-users] OAuth2 Thunderbird Settings

rmz me at rmz.io
Sun Aug 14 23:41:39 CEST 2022

On Aug 14, 2022 at 20:00, Robert Gabriel wrote:
> I tried mutt_oauth2.py and it requires a `client_id` and
> `client_secret`. This will not work for me as our org has disabled
> Azure anything and the admins will not configure anything for NeoMutt
> etc.

<rant>
Same here, my org decided that only "Microsoft approved" apps were
allowed to use the OAUTH2 mechanism, blocked everything else and
wouldn't issue client tokens.
</rant>

> So, pardon my ignorance please: what can I do or use with NeoMutt to
> achieve the same (if possible)?

I can't say anything about getting the to work in NeoMutt directly, but
I successfully followed the ArchWiki on isync/mbsync[xoauth] to sync
mail via IMAP using OAUTH2. It uses `mutt_oauth2.py` so I suppose you
should be able to get it to work in mutt too.

[xouth2]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Isync#mutt_oauth2.py

The gist of it is:
1. grab the client_id/client_secret from thunderbird
    - https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/file/tip/mailnews/base/src/OAuth2Providers.jsm#l79
    - More details: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Isync#App_registrations
2. modify the scripts ENCRYPTION_PIPE and DECRYPTION_PIPE to
3. run `mutt_outh2.py <token-file> --authorize` to write generate tokens
    to the given file
4. use `mutt_oauth2.py <token-file>` as your command for the
    authentication mechanism

Good Luck