[neomutt-users] Help with maildir setup

Dominik Vogt dominik.vogt at gmx.de
Thu Oct 28 13:38:02 CEST 2021

I've been using mutt/neomutt for ages, archiving old messages in
various mailboxes.  This has gotten out of hand because of the
size of the archive files.

The setup looks like this:

 * Exim pipes incoming mail through sortmail ($HOME/.forward),
   filtering out some spam, writing a copy to $HOME/Mail/_maillog.
 * Everything that is not dropped by the sortmail filter is then
   delivered by Exim as usual to the file /var/mail/USERNAME.
 * $HOME/Mail/in is a symlink to /var/mail/USERNAME.
 * From there I store the messages sooner or later in other
   mailboxes or delete them.  ($HOME/mail/foo etc.).

So, I'd like to use a maildir setup instead and split the old
mailboxes into individual messages.  I don't care about the format
of the "in" file, though.

For a first step I need to convert the mailboxes to maildirs and
tell neomutt that everything below $HOME/mail except $HOME/mail/in
is a maildir.

Can you give me a hint how to do this properly, without losing new
incoming mail during the transition?

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--