[neomutt-users] How to make subject visible on very deep nested discussions?

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Tue Oct 19 12:35:35 CEST 2021

Hi zargener,

> >  <limit-current-thread><sort-mailbox>d

> I mean it doesn't work for subthreads for me.

It only works for the entire thread.

> > narrow the other index fields.

> What field variables, for example?

If you're focusing on one thread, then you can probably turn off the
message flags (%Z), the message number (%C).

Another big space saver is the Initials field, replacing
%-15.15L (15 char wide names) with %-3I (3 char initials)

> But I really want to see a list of features you've planned.

Currently there isn't one, as we're focusing on fixing the larger
architectural problems.  Mutt's code is a desperate mess of spaghetti
code and global variables.  NeoMutt's code is _starting_ to resemble an
MVC program that you might read about in a book.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model%E2%80%93view%E2%80%93controller

I do keep a list of every idea I've every thought of, or had suggested
(but it's really chaotic :-)

    https://github.com/neomutt/flatcap-brain-dump

> I was confused when tried to make something complex using lua scripting,

Lua was a lovely idea, but implemented before its time.
It was able to set variables and run commands at a global level, but
not much else.

However, recently, we've been breaking up the Index, Pager and Compose.
Each one now has a set of separate C functions that perform work on some
data.

With a bit of work, Lua would be able to perform NeoMutt functions in
those dialogs.  That'd be a big step forward.

> That's the thing I want to fix if decide I am able.

It's quite a bit of work.  How good are your C skills?
I'm happy to guide and mentor.
I'll always make time to help people help NeoMutt.

Cheers,
    Rich

You can also find us on IRC: #neomutt on irc.libera.chat
Web client: https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.libera.chat/#neomutt