[neomutt-users] Jumping Message Selection

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Nov 10 16:34:07 CET 2021

On Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 08:47:06PM -0500, Jon Fineman wrote:
> I am using NeoMutt version 20211029 on OpenBSD 7.0-current (GENERIC.MP) #69.
>
> A behavior I have been noticing (it started in past releases) is when new
> messages come into a folder while you are viewing a message is when you go
> to delete the message, the status line will change from the message you were
> viewing to another message in the folder. I.e. the pointer changes out from
> under you and you end up deleting the wrong message.
>
> The couple of times I have payed attention is the cursor doesn't jump to the
> new message, but to the next non deleted one.
>
> I haven't been able to replicate the problem by sending new emails to the
> folder. It appears to be based on the time spent viewing a message.
>
> Any thoughts on how I might gather more info for this? Or has this already
> been reported?

I think this is already reported; it sounds similar to the effects observed in
https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/issues/2981

At any rate, I've been noticing erratic message jumping for a while,
and like you, have had instances where the wrong message gets deleted
if I'm not careful to where a random jump landed me when new mail
arrived while I was in the pager.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266