[neomutt-users] Delayed visibility of new email - inotify issue?

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Sat May 8 14:52:42 CEST 2021

Hi,

A couple of days ago due to an upgrade my system switched from mutt
to neomutt and I decided to just go with it, without any prior
experience or knowledge of neomutt.

The only real issue I've had since is that sometimes new email seems
to take a long time to appear. By which I mean, I know it's been
delivered but it does not show.

So I'll return to my neomutt after doing something else, move the
cursor or something, and suddenly a bunch of email from an hour or
more ago will be made visible to me. Likewise changing out of the
folder and back in will show them.

It doesn't happen all the time. I've sat and watched the screen
while in folder index view and some (most?) new mails do show within
a few seconds without me touching anything.

My mailboxes are Maildir folders on the local filesystem. Linux ext3
filesystem (it's an old host), relatime mount option.

Of my neomutt settings I think only these are relevant?

timeout=5
mail_check=5
mail_check_recent is set

One thing is: I run two copies of neomutt at once, in different tmux
windows. One looks at my main inbox and the other at whatever other
mailboxes I'm interested in. They both use the same config so are
checking the same list of mailboxes. Is it possible that the "other
mailboxes" copy is getting the inotify notifications so the other
doesn't get them?

Thanks,
Andy