[neomutt-users] printcommand fails with pdf viewer spawned by trailing ampersand?

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Wed Mar 17 12:18:12 CET 2021

Hi list,

it seems that due to any upgrade my trusted printcommand stopped
working:
set print_command="muttprint -p TO_FILE:/tmp/muttprint.ps %s && ps2pdf /tmp/muttprint.ps /tmp/muttprint.pdf && rm /tmp/muttprint.ps && qpdfview /tmp/muttprint.pdf &"

with the following lpr error(?) being thrown
	lpr: Error - The printer or class does not exist.
	Error: /undefinedfilename in (/tmp/muttprint.ps)
	[...]
unless I remove the trailing ampersand after launching qpdfview. I can't
seem to understand how lpr is involved here at all and why the ampersand
makes all the difference. I have disabled all other muttprint config
files on my system as far as I can tell.

Is there also any better way of spawning the viewer and returning command to
mutt?

Thanks to you all,
best, Peter