[neomutt-users] display of errors

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Fri Mar 12 15:29:29 CET 2021

Hi Sven,

> how about a slightly different output of errors?

Yeah, I have some ideas

> in particular, showing error numbers and erroneous lines.

As a developer, the format I'd prefer is:

filename.rc:123 Error: msg

Many editors will do the right thing when asked to open `filename.rc:123`

> this is what i just got:
>   Error in /home/user/guckes/.mutt/NEW, line 4637:

yep, ugly

> and the home path might be abbreviated to '~':

Yes, that we can do.
By which I mean I've added it to the list.

>   E4711 error codes

Yes, I thought of that.
First, we'd need a thorough review of all the error/warning messages.

In Mutt, everything is an ERROR! (in capital letters :-)
In NeoMutt, we've started downgrading some of these to warnings.

The rule is, it's a warning if:

    we can tell the user *why* the problem occurred,
    so that they know how to avoid it next time

> source: errors in ~/.neomuttrc
> is there an option to request the output of those lines as well?

It's a good idea, but unfortunately not yet.

By the time the error is reported, the code doesn't really have any idea
what's happened.  We'd need to refactor a lot of the parsing code first.

Good ideas, but we need more devs to implement them.

Cheers,
    Rich / FlatCap