[neomutt-users] IMAP keywords | Thunderbird labels

toogley toogley at nixnet.email
Wed Mar 3 18:45:30 CET 2021

Hello everybody,

So these two pull requests [1], [2] allows neomutt to display the labels
from thunderbird. The documentation for that is here: [3].

By default, the labels from thunderbird are displayed as $label1,
$label4 and so on. To fix that, i used the tag-transofrms function.

   tag-transforms "$label1" "important" \
      "$label2" "WIP" \
      "$label3" "mailinglist" \
      "$label4" "done" \
      "$label5" "revisit" \
      "$forwarded" "F"

This allows me to change these thunderbird labels/IMAP keywords using
the modify-labels function:

    bind index,pager y modify-labels

and with these additional seetings, the labels are displayed in the

    set hidden_tags = "NonJunk"
    set index_format="%4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15L (%?l?%4l&%4c?) %s (%g)"

So far so good. But now i have questions.

1) Is that a bug that the tag pattern "~Y revisit" doesn't display mails
marked as such? Or which tag-modifier[4] works correctly here?

2) I would like neomutt to display mails labeled/tagged as "important"
to display as red, "done" as blue and such. But

    color index_tag red white "important"
    color index_tag black blue "done"

doesn't work. Also this version doesn't work:

    color index_tag red white "$label1"
    color index_tag black blue "$label3"

So now i wonder, what am i missing?

[1]: https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/pull/399