[neomutt-users] variables, commands, etc. questions

Chris Bennett cpb_neomutt at bennettconstruction.us
Fri Jun 4 21:41:45 CEST 2021

Working on my project connecting OpenSMTPD, Dovecot and Neomutt with
PostgreSQL for all at once, some things are more clear now.

set: for variables.
Commands are without set.
Macros
my_ variables
various hooks.

I've discovered that ignore, unignore, mailboxes, named-mailboxes, etc
are commands. I learned that mailboxes need to follow after folder and
spoolfile are set OR need full paths or full URL's

Are there any other things that order is a must have?
Right now, I'm doing a mix of in the database and in sourced files.
I need to add more tables to hold things such as commands that a
particular email address wants. I think that having source files will be
a good option for users to update things in their home folder instead of
accessing the database to change options.
Eventually, I want to be able to add a new user with their email
address(es) and get everything laid out into all the software with a
script. Of course, right now I don't have any other users, but I can
fake it. 8-)

It looks like keeping encrypted passwords in the database and then
feeding them into something like gpg will work. I haven't tried that
yet.

I can definitely see why being a neomutt developer is hard!
My thanks to all the devs.

After a while longer, I'll put this up onto github in case anyone wants
to look at it or help out. It's still a little bit too alpha. I'm just
using IMAP without any email being encrypted, so I don't expect to touch
that myself.

Regards,
Chris Bennett