[neomutt-users] jump to the newest message in a thread

Kiyoung Park pkyoung at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 16:27:15 CET 2021

> I am wondering how do you jump to the newest message in a thread,
> when the thread has many messages in complicated tree. (see below for example)
>
> I am sorting the message as:
> set sort = threads
> set sort_aux = reverse-last-date-received
>
> I found the link https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=133726,
> "How to jump to first/last message in thread",
> and the solution like,
>
>     macro   generic ">"     "<next-thread><previous-entry>"
>     macro   generic "<"     "<previous-thread><next-entry>"
>
> but it jumps to the first/last not oldest/newest. (the oldest is the first)
>
> As an example, I easily have a thread with more than 50 messages, and
> it is not easy to find the newest message as below (where #32 is the
> newest)
>   29 r +  │  │   │      │    │       └>
>   30   F  │  │   │      │    │        └>
>   31   +  │  │   │      │    │         └>
>   32   +  │  │   │      │    │          └>
>   33   +  │  │   │      │    └>
>   34   F  │  │   │      └>
>   35   +  │  │   │       └>
>   36   +  │  │   │        └>
>   37   F  │  │   │         └>
>   38   +  │  │   │          └>
>   39 r +  │  │   └>
>   40   F  │  │    └>
>
> Thanks.

After some research, I found out that ~$ does the job, and I could
make a macro like
"<root-message><search>~$<enter>"
One tiny inconvenience is that if current message is threaded but collapsed,
then the macro will work on the next message instead of on the current one.

I think i can solve this in two ways,
1. do "<uncollapse-if-collpased>" then apply the macro
 - there seems no way to uncollapse but toggle
2. make search go into collapsed message.
 - search is done on only visible message by default.

So what could be a workaround for me?