[neomutt-users] broken maillist setup - reply-to-cc?

Sven Guckes neomutt-lists at guckes.net
Sun Sep 27 12:13:52 CEST 2020

some lists have changed their setup like this:

  From: $NAME <$LIST>
  To:          $LIST
  Cc:   $NAME <$SENDER>

the From: line actually has the $LIST address
and when you have aliased the $LIST address
then ALL mails show up as "From: $LIST". o_O

the sender actually appears in the Cc: line
but there is no command reply-to-cc, right?

and a normal "reply" does not go the $SENDER address but
to the $LIST address (whether Reply-To is regarded or not).

replying to the actual sender can only be done with a group-reply
and then deleting the To: line with the $LIST address:

    To: $NAME <$LIST>
    Cc: $NAME <$SENDER>

meh!

this is pretty annoying to say the least.

is there any way to make neomutt show
mails as "From: $NAME <$SENDER>" again?
and is there a reply command yet which only
replies to the address in the Cc? reply-to-cc?

i understand that adding such commands+features would
be another workaround to yet another silly broken setup.
but i'd rather not rewrite headers of messages for this.

my workaround for now will be using edit_headers
and rewriting them using my lovely vim editor. :)

what to do?  any suggestions?

ps: is there a name for this kind of broken maillist setup?

Sven