[neomutt-users] sasl no longer valid?

Yousef Akbar yhakbar99 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 07:13:59 CET 2020

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 11:03:28PM -0500, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> This just began on startup:
>
> 	Option imap_authenticators: sasl is not a valid authenticator
>
> It happened after I upgraded to the latest available through brew (neomutt -v below).  Any clues?

This error message comes from this PR which introduced validators for imap,
smtp, pop, authenticators' config variables:

https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/pull/2624

Now you need to specify which specific authentication method(s) you want to use
matching either list of accepted methods: imap_authenticators or
sasl_authenticators (in your case, probably the latter).

	/**
	 * sasl_authenticators - Authenticaion methods supported by Cyrus SASL
	 */
	static const char *const sasl_authenticators[] = {
	  "ANONYMOUS",     "CRAM-MD5",       "DIGEST-MD5",    "EXTERNAL",
	  "GS2-IAKERB",    "GS2-KRB5",       "GSS-SPNEGO",    "GSSAPI",
	  "LOGIN",         "NTLM",           "OTP-MD4",       "OTP-MD5",
	  "OTP-SHA1",      "PASSDSS-3DES-1", "PLAIN",         "SCRAM-SHA-1",
	  "SCRAM-SHA-224", "SCRAM-SHA-256",  "SCRAM-SHA-384", "SCRAM-SHA-512",
	  "SRP",
	};

For example:

	# Try PLAIN and DIGEST-MD5, in that order
	set imap_authenticators="plain:digest-md5"

Alternatively, if your $imap_authenticators is empty, NeoMutt will fall back and
try any auth method accepted by your server.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes.

--
Yousef Akbar