[neomutt-users] neomutt+msmtp for web.de, anyone?

Pietro Cerutti gahr at gahr.ch
Wed Nov 18 09:09:06 CET 2020

On Nov 18 2020, 07:11 UTC, Sven Guckes <neomutt-lists at guckes.net> wrote:
>* Roland Hess <rol42 at web.de> [2020-11-18 08:02]:
>> > No, neomutt is trying to _save_ the outgoing mail in a pop
>> > folder because of Fcc setting. That could be something Roland
>> > has explicitly configured, or it could be neomutt helpfully
>> > inferring the setting from the folder variable or similar.
>> Thank you, perhaps we find the solution now?
>>
>> I did not configure any pop folder (and I have no idea where I
>> should make one or how to tell mutt where that folder is).
>> If I comment out (is this the correct term?)this line in muttrc:
>> set folder = "pops://rol42@web.de@pop3.web.de:995"
>> mutt (neomutt) opens with an empty INBOX
>
>bzzt!  the option "folder" is used for *saving* mails.

Wait... the "folder" setting is used to shorten paths using + or =, so
you can refer to +Inbox, +Sent, etc. and is interpreted asa base path to
your mailbox hierarchy.

Where outgoing mails are stored is decided by the "record" setting,
which defaults to ~/sent.

I can start neomutt with an empty config, set
folder=pops://pop.fastmail.com:995, <change-folder> +, enter my login
details, and I'll be sitting in my Inbox on FastMail.
 From there, I can compose and send an email, and it'll appear in ~/sent.

>when you include the POP protocol directive here then
>this means that mutt should use POP to save mails by POP.

How do you derive this?

>but POP is *not* a protocol for sending, only receiving.

This part is correct.

--
Pietro Cerutti