[neomutt-users] Sidebar questions

Kusoneko kusoneko at kusoneko.moe
Wed Nov 4 08:16:03 CET 2020

Hi, I've been attempting to make my sidebar look nice, but I've run into
an interesting issue, I would like to make it look like this (providing
examples of roughly all types of maildir arrangements I've got, I'll
note that the root of all trees is an empty maildir representing the
mail address in the sidebar, as well as both of the [(G)mail] maildirs
representing random internal directories the mail provider created and
placed some default folders in, however sometimes some other folders are
out and the 3rd directory example shows the order they show up in) :

kusoneko
 ├Inbox
 ├Drafts
 ├Sent
 ├Spam
 └Trash
somegmailaddress
 ├Inbox
 ├[Gmail]
 └─┬Sent
   ├Drafts
   ├Spam
   └Trash
someothermailaddress
 ├Inbox
 ├[Mail]
 ├─┬Sent
 │ ├Drafts
 │ ├Spam
 │ └Trash
 └SomeOtherMaildir

 However, I've noticed there is only one configuration option called
 sidebar_indent_string, so I can presumably only set up one of these
 possible arrangements which end up creating this, due to only setting
 up the first type, and not having a way to tell it how to switch the
 indent string depending on the maildir hierarchy. This changes the
 previous example into this:

kusoneko
 ├Inbox
 ├Drafts
 ├Sent
 ├Spam
 ├Trash
somegmailaddress
 ├Inbox
 ├[Gmail]
 ├ ├Sent
   ├Drafts
   ├Spam
   ├Trash
someothermailaddress
 ├Inbox
 ├[Mail]
 ├ ├Sent
 ├ ├Drafts
 ├ ├Spam
 ├ ├Trash
 ├SomeOtherMaildir

 Is it actually possible to make this happen or should I settle for a
 less aesthetically pleasing way of setting up the sidebar by using
 only spaces as per the online getting started sidebar section?