[neomutt-users] How to stop <tag-thread> from jumping to next item

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Thu Jul 9 18:08:26 CEST 2020

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 04:12:55PM +0200, Jakub Jindra wrote:
> this the default behavior. It behaves the same with a single message,
> you tag,delete,undelete one message and cursor moves to the next.
>
> To change this just put in Your config following:
> unset resolve

Thanks Jakub; Pietro's reply reached me first, but I'm grateful for your
helpful response too :)

On Thu, Jul 09, 2020 at 03:26:33PM +0000, Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> Yep, I guess different workflows call for different behaviours.
>
> If you're like me and use the tagging mechanism in order to select a
> number of messages that you want to apply some action to, then it's
> pretty convenient than tagging a message automatically moves you to
> the next one (so you can tag that too, perhaps).
>
> I soldomly tag a message and immediately want to act upon the same
> message.  I guess that only happens at the end of a tagging sequence.
>
> So, if you tag more than 2 messages, you will have spared key strokes

Exactly.  As I mentioned in my previous message, I could guess why
`resolve` defaults to `yes`: i.e. for the reason you gave.

In my case, I quite often want to jump to the *previous* thread or
message rather than the *next* one, so if `resolve` is `yes` then in
those cases I have to jump *twice*.

So, for me it's simpler (and more symmetrical) if <tag> and <tag-thread>
perform only the action specified, and then if I want to jump somewhere
else afterwards I can do so with a single additional keystroke.

Of course, one of the many great things about (Neo)Mutt is that it can
accommodate either preference with a simple configuration setting :)

Thanks again to you both!

Sam

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.