[neomutt-users] How to stop <tag-thread> from jumping to next item

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Thu Jul 9 15:24:17 CEST 2020

In the "index" screen, if I invoke <tag-thread>, then in addition to
tagging the thread, Mutt also moves (jumps) the cursor/highlight to the
the manual and the Web has not so far helped me to understand why this
happens.

Is this behaviour expected?  (I think it might be; see below, but if
not, I guess it is due to a bug in my .muttrc or in my version of Mutt.)

If it *is* expected, is there a way to disable it, short of modifying
the source code and recompiling Mutt?

In case it helps, the version of Mutt in use here is the one that comes
with Debian Stretch.  I think it comes from a time before the relevant
Debian package maintainer cleanly distinguished between Mutt and
NeoMutt.  Anyway, it calls itself NeoMutt, which is why I am using the
NeoMutt mailing list to ask about it.

    $ mutt -v
    NeoMutt 20170113 (1.7.2)
    Copyright (C) 1996-2016 Michael R. Elkins and others.
    [..]

The reason I think the behaviour I am experiencing might be intentional
(even though I personally find it undesirable; it violates POLA*) is due
to this stanza in curs_main.c:

    if (rc != -1)
    {
      if (option (OPTRESOLVE))
      {
        if (op == OP_TAG_THREAD)
          menu->current = mutt_next_thread (CURHDR);
        else
          menu->current = mutt_next_subthread (CURHDR);

        if (menu->current == -1)
          menu->current = menu->oldcurrent;
      }
      menu->redraw = REDRAW_INDEX | REDRAW_STATUS;
    }

If you think I should have asked this at mutt-users instead of at
neomutt-users, then let me know and please accept my apologies.

Thanks in advance for your help.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.