[neomutt-users] Irritating "Unable to write" errors in neomutt

Vikas Rawal vikasrawal at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 06:31:46 CET 2020

I use mbsync to sync my mails with my Gmail and other accounts. And I use
notmuch, afew and neomutt for rest of the tasks. On neomutt, my default
folder is a notmuch virtual-folder.

On neomutt, I am sometimes unable to change/refresh the notmuch virtual
folders and am given the errors of this kind when I try to change to
different folder or refresh the same folder:

Unable to write notmuch://?query=(tag:sent or tag:inbox) and NOT
tag:deleted and NOT tag:alerts and NOT tag:lists

This happens when neomutt is not used for some time. It seems that the
changes made by mbsync in the background while neomutt has opened a virtual
folder conflict with neomutt. So for example, if a mail is deleted on my
Gmail account using the web interface or some other client, and that change
is synced by mbsync, neomutt is not able to handle it without my having to
close neomutt altogether and restarting it.

Is this a known problem? How do people handle this?

Vikas