[neomutt-users] Lots of accounts from one user, as in more than bindings are practical

Pietro Cerutti gahr at gahr.ch
Fri Dec 18 08:22:47 CET 2020

> On 18 Dec 2020, at 01:15, Chris Bennett <cpb_neomutt at bennettconstruction.us> wrote:
>
> I'm happy with the multi-accts I have setup with a limited number of
> key-bindings and macros (not perfect, but functional).
>
> I really liked an idea about just having a user vmail for IMAP incoming,
> plus some users just for working on some explicit tasks only, but email
> going elsewhere.
> One user just for sending and receiving mail. Nice idea and I've done
> it.

I personally use one single email account + sieve to sort mail to different mailboxes at server side (Dovecot Pigeonhole).

This means one single IMAP user on Dovevot. But you can map all addresses to a particular domain to a single IMAP account, so you can still have foo at example.com and bar at example.com be delivered to the same account, then use Sieve to sort mail based on any properties including sender and receiver.

From there on, a single NeoMutt instance with a number of mailboxes for various mailing lists, source control notification, open source memberships, ...

Hope this helps,

—
Pietro Cerutti