[neomutt-users] Sidebar feature?

Chris Bennett cpb_neomutt at bennettconstruction.us
Tue Dec 8 00:08:09 CET 2020

On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 01:05:06PM +0000, Richard Russon wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> tl;dr No
>
> > Long subject.Long subject.Long| INBOX
> > Short subject.                | Sent
> > Short subject.                |--------
> > Short subject.
> > Long subject.Long subject.Long subject.
>
> Whoa!
>
> I hadn't thought of that.
> I've added it to the list (of *all* ideas).
>
> > Is such a thing reasonable, as in not a mountain of work?
>
> It's both reasonable and quite a bit of work.
>
> > > work on "layouts" has begun, as announced on 2020-03-13:
>
> Yes...
>
> Historically (and in upstream Mutt), various parts of the code write to
> absolute screen coordinates.  Adding the Sidebar, years ago, meant
> updating a LOT of code to be Sidebar-aware.
>
> The new "layouts" code represents all the components as a nested set of
> Windows.  If the Sidebar becomes visible, the Index Window is resized
> and the it gets a notification to repaint itself.  The Index Window is
> completely unaware of the Sidebar.

Oh. Yeah, that would be a lot of work with this

> The new code is working nicely, but there's a bit more work to do.
>
> That's the simple 2-dimensional view.
>
> The next step would be to add floating Windows (menus and popups, etc).

So *if* it gets done, it would really need to wait for this point.
Hopefully, my idea is helpful.

> For lots of pictures, see:
>     https://github.com/neomutt/gfx/tree/master/layout
>     https://github.com/neomutt/gfx/tree/master/screenshots

Looks nice. Lots of choices! I appreciate the hard work!

for setups, such as multi-accounts. But I also see that some folks have
been using mutt then neomutt for many years. As have I, once I
discovered mutt. But I never started to customize until just recently.

Because there are many people with neat methods with macros and *hooks,
but they have had them for a really long time, it seems that it would be
helpful to get users to submit them to the community. I have had a hard
time finding much variety out on the general net.

Vim has a nice description of what the author wants to support whenever
a new, empty file is to be edited at startup. Which promptly vanishes
once starting work.

How about a message shown after each upgrade asking for people to submit
copies of their macros, *hooks, etc. and where.
Just hit enter to dismiss.

With a message at the bottom along the lines of:

disable for this upgrade: add no_current_upgrade_message = yes
disable always: always_disable_upgrade_messages = yes

---------
Just a thought, mostly because I really like Neomutt!

Thanks,
Chris Bennett