[neomutt-users] Difference between + and =

Sven Guckes neomutt-lists at guckes.net
Sat Nov 23 21:05:18 CET 2019

* Mr. Gentooer <mrgentooer at cock.li> [2019-11-23 20:56]:
> I'm having a hard time understanding
> the difference between +Inbox and =Inbox.

the plus and equal signs are synonyms.  that's it.

> Based on the docs, both seem to refer to `$folder/Inbox`,
> but I see some people even mix those in a single
> config file, which confuses the hell out of me.

same idea. see? ^^

> The Neomutt docs don't really go into the detail
> of mailbox syntax, so I'm not sure where to look.
> Is there any other authoritative reference for
> this format? Or am I reading too much into it
> and they're there only for historical reasons?

just take my word for it.

depending on your shell and its syntax
you might prefer using either as you
may not need to escape it with a backslash:

    neomutt -f +NEOMUTT
    neomutt -f =NEOMUTT

synonyms are a great thing then. so.. enjoy! :-)

Sven