[neomutt-users] [pobox at pobox.com: Re: neomutt can directly send via smtp? {PTN542249}]

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jul 11 04:20:24 CEST 2019

On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 08:57:25PM -0400, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 06:32:36PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> > I use starttls on 587, so the plain SMTP:// works for me.  It might work
> > differently without starttls.
>
> Ah ha! Works! :-)

Well, yes, but make sure you're not facing the possibility of a
downgrade to unencrypted communications.  STARTTLS works because the
connection is made first then the TLS negotiation is called.  If your
server doesn't require STARTTLS on the 587 connection, you could be
sending data in the clear.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com