[neomutt-users] mouse-based copy/paste picks up spaces at end of line

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Thu Jul 4 22:43:42 CEST 2019

On 2019-07-04 11:03, Nathan Cutler wrote:

> If neomutt is running in a terminal window with width 120 characters,
> and an email, displayed in the pager, has text of width 80 characters,
> and then I use the mouse to copy some lines of that email from neomutt
> into the clipboard, each line will contain:
>
> 80 characters of email text + 40 spaces added by neomutt
>
> If the terminal window is 160 characters wide instead of 120, then the
> number of extra spaces included in the clipboard at the end of each
> line increases to 80.
>
> Doesn't anyone else here have this same problem? It's pretty annoying.

On my system (bare XWindow + a minimalistic tiling window manager)
selecting text with a mouse does _not_ put it into the clipboard, only
in the so-called X "primary selection".  A separate step is necessary to
move it from there into the clipoard, something like

xclip -o | xclip -i -selection clipboard

I have a global hot key configured that does this.  So the script that
does it can just as well remove the hanging whitespace.

So, you can say I have this problem, but it is not a problem for me :-P