[neomutt-users] Content encoding of multiparts

Ian Zimmerman itz at very.loosely.org
Fri Jan 18 17:57:13 CET 2019

I have started seeing messages sent by recent neomutts on various
mailing lists.  That is great!  But I noticed that when there's a
multipart/alternative MIME chunk, the Content-Transfer-Encoding is
explicitly set to "x-unknown".  In messages sent by other MUAs that
header is usually just not present on multiparts.

This doesn't cause any serious problems, but there are annoying warnings
from mairix which doesn't understand this "encoding" :)

I don't know the MIME RFCs in enough detail to say if neomutt is within
its rights here.  If the RFCs recommend this practice then by all means
continue doing it and to hell with mairix.  But if it is just a result
of code "beautification" maybe it could be reverted :)

P.S.: I am a programmer and I can probably contribute this change
myself, if needed.

Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.

More information about the neomutt-users mailing list