[neomutt-users] Excited for next release, any guesses on release date?

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Sat Jan 12 01:12:27 CET 2019

Hi Xu,

> I watch github repo with excitement.
> there is so much commits going on.

Yes, we're up to ~1100 code changes since the last release!

The code we forked from Mutt was in a terrible state.
It was twenty years old and very poorly maintained.

For the first couple of years, I was happy to make small tidying
changes, each bringing a little more conformity

> I know developers don't like to set a date, but does anyone know any
> idea about when the next release will be?

It's been hard to estimate.
The deeper I read into the code, the more horror I saw.
I had some ambitious plans, but I underestimated how much I'd have to do.

I was hoping, by now, to have a team of developers -- a group of
like-minded friends.  There are three other active developers.

> More like a week or a month or a few months?

I'm reluctant to say, but...

The biggest changes are done -- the architecture looks much better.

If I were to finish what I'm working on, say 2 weeks, we'd still need
several weeks of intensive testing and bug-fixing before we could make a
release.

Once we have a new stable release, future releases should be frequent again.

> I am patient to wait and so appreciating all the work being done,

Thanks :-)

Rich / FlatCap