[neomutt-users] The From: section in composing new messages and the dynamic PGP key selection

GTC at riseup.net GTC at riseup.net
Thu Aug 8 07:19:29 CEST 2019

On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 04:12:47PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 04:32:50PM +0000, GTC at riseup.net wrote:
>
> > 1. Does neomutt have the function that when composing messages, asking From: section?
>
> No, but you could set up a macro to set the From.  But I still suspect
> you want a send-hook or maybe a send2-hook combined perhaps with an
> account-hook and folder-hook.  That's how I do this, combined with a
> macro that allows me to set the From: address on new messages.  For instance:
>
> 	macro generic,pager,index,attach,compose,editor <F2> ":set from=ajs at anvilwalrusden.com<Enter>" "Mail from anvil"

The macro does not work and neomutt gives me no response after coping and pasting the above line and replace your email address with mine.

> > 2. In PGP encrption also, neomutt seems to always use default key or oldest key as encrypt_self or From: encryption key.
> >

> > How to disable such bug and let user to choose  arbitrary key from system key ring as enrypt_to_self or From encrption key?
> >

> It's not a bug, it's a binding between the From address and the key.

Neither neomutt nor mutt binds From address with the key associated with the From address. If this were the case, then there would be no problems.

They bind all the From addresses, no matter what, to one key, the default key or oldest key, blindly.

This is the reason I call it a bug.

> If you want this not to happen, set $pgp_default_key or maybe
> $pgp_sign_as.  If you change accounts (as above) you can use the
> relevant hooks to set the variable depending on the email address.

In most email clients, even in thunderbird, it automatically associates with From address with the appropriate key dynamically.

In thunderbird, they even give me a list of all keys in system key ring and let me select manually and arbitrary which key to use.