[neomutt-users] computed/evaluated search

Nicolas Paris nicolas.paris at riseup.net
Sun Nov 4 03:44:00 CET 2018

On Sat, Nov 03, 2018 at 03:35:10PM -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> > > It is far from obvious to me how this works :-P   Is this really
> > > supposed to work?  If so, that solves my problem
> >
> > Yes it does work, I am using it multiple time a day !
>
> Ok, I think I understand it now.  You construct a regexp with multiple |
> branches on the fly with each branch corresponding to one message-id
> returned from the indexer.

Not really. The idea is to write the query in a file that is then passed
to the tool (notmuch, mu, anyelse), which looks into its index and then
return all the ID of the messages matching. I only get the 600 first
messages, in order to speed up the fetching and finally ask mutt to
display them in mutt.

> I had probably thought of that, in fact, before posting my first
> question.  It seems somehow ... grotty and potentially not scaling.  I
> would much rather have neomutt match each message-id sequentially
> against each mail in the folder.  I realize though that I'm engaging
> in perhaps unfounded speculation here.  Maybe you have reason to think
> a regexp is better for performance and that's why you did it this way,
> and not only because it was the _only_ way?

The version I gave is a slight improvement of something I found
there (http://log.or.cz/?p=228). They may be other better way, but I
d'say this one is already fast enough.

--
nicolas