[neomutt-users] SMTP connection is anonymous (and so fails)

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Sun Feb 18 21:56:00 CET 2018

* Jeff Abrahamson <jeff at p27.eu>:
> On 18/02/18 20:52, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> > * Jeff Abrahamson <jeff at p27.eu>:
> >> I'd like to be able to send email with NeoMutt 20170609 (1.8.3).
> >> Compile options include  +sasl.
> >>
> >> In my config, I've said this:
> >>
> >>       set from = "jeff at p27.eu"
> >>       set realname = "Jeff Abrahamson"
> >>       set use_from = yes
> >>       set envelope_from = yes
> >>
> >>       set smtp_url = "smtps://jeff@mail.p27.eu:465/"
> >>       set ssl_force_tls = yes
> > Looks like you don't send the password. My config goes like this:
> >
> > set smtp_url=smtp://identity@mail.sys4.de:587/
> > set smtp_pass=--secret--
>
> Thanks.  Specifying smtp_pass results in the same behaviour for me.
> (In addition, the docs suggest that not specifying a password should
> result in it being prompted on first send.)

Your host offers PLAIN and LOGIN on 25 (my personal opinion: It shouldn't on
25 unless you really have to. 587 an 465 is fine):

250-nantes-1.p27.eu
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 52428800
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

Now for the obvious question: Does the host you run neomutt on, support these
mechs?

What do you see in the log on the server (Postfix) side?

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München