[neomutt-users] Old (O) messages shown as new (N) in index

Mihai Lazarescu mtlagm at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 21:13:54 CET 2018

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 10:54:08 -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> On 2018-12-16 18:34, Mihai Lazarescu wrote:
>
> > I'm using NeoMutt 20180716 with maildir folders on Fedora 28.
>
> > Flag Old (O) is shown as New (N) whenever I reopen the folder.  I.e.,
> > I cannot make permanent the "O" flag:
> > http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#tab-msg-status-flags
>
> > Is this behaviour intended?
>
> No, and it works here (same system, maildir store and neomutt release).
>
> Perhaps a file permission issue?

Weird.  I have used mutt on the same system for years with no
problem.  Files and directories belong to my user and group,
mode 0600 for files and 0700 for directories.

For test, if I open the same mailbox in mutt (1.10.1 of
2018-07-13) and neomutt in two windows side by side, all
messages that are shown flagged "O" in mutt, are shown flagged
"N" in neomutt.

Files of old messages end with ":2," (shown "O" by mutt and
"N" by neomutt).

Files of unflagged messages end with ":2,S" (shown correctly
by both mutt and neomutt).

Files of new message end also with ":2," but are in directory
"new".  Both mutt and neomutt show them correctly as "N".

Looks like neomutt interprets the lack of attributes at the end
of file names always as flag "N", while it should be:
- flag "N" if message file is in directory "new";
- flag "O" if in directory "cur".

Can this be because the mailboxes are on btrfs?

Thanks,
Mihai