[neomutt-users] S/MIME signature verification

Rieger Anton nmutt at jikken.de
Sat Dec 8 00:44:27 CET 2018

On Fri, Dec 07, 2018 at 01:16:31PM -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
>Is it supposed to work?  It doesn't for me, ever.  I have compiled
>neomutt for myself, and the configure option is enabled.

It works for me :)

You need to configure the smime_* options.
On my system the sample configuration file is under:
    /usr/share/doc/neomutt/samples/smime.rc
Just source/copy it in/to your neomutt.rc.

The default trust bundle is under:
    ~/.smime/ca-bundle.crt
Mine is a symlink to /etc/ssl/cert.pem
which is the Systems default ca-bundle.

Neomutt provides a tool named ``smime_keys'' to handle certificates.
It is not needed to just verify.

>The general problem is I don't know how to debug this, because I have
>never used S/MIME myself for email or anything else.  Is there an
>equivalent to running gpg --verify from the command line?

Yes, openssl has a smime module.
The sample file from above includes all openssl commands.
Just read it, it's documented.

Btw. to get gpg working, you also have to include gpg.rc
and change it to your needs.

Best Wishes
Rieger Anton

PS:
I know, I should setup an PGP-Key and sign my messages already.