[neomutt-users] "Hello" and a small little typo ...

toogley at mailbox.org toogley at mailbox.org
Mon Mar 6 21:14:32 CET 2017

Hey,

On Sun 05 Mar 2017, 16:07:19 CET, tuxic at posteo.de wrote:
> I dont want to kill mails accidentally when
> setting up the mail system with my new root and
> when configuring neomutt.
>
> On the other hand: I need some "real work examples"
> to work with...
>
> Is there any "dry run"-way to start mutt, so it pulls
> and reads mails but do not delete those on the mailserver
> itself (want to use POP, no IMAP).

As far as i know, mutt doesn't support POP at all, only IMAP. I personally have
made a different approach for this problem:

* Set up a completely new mail account
* register to some high frequent mailinglist (e.g. debian-users) to gain
  some traffic.
* set up mutt and your mail downloading tools to use as you would use your
  normal config.

That way, you can test your complete setup with real data(you can even
test your settings for sending mails, as you can simply reply to the
mailinglist) - even if it ends up in a total chaos, you won't loose
important mails and even more importantly you can be sure that
everything works as expected if you change your config.

And as for what tool to use, we have a list that might help you :)

See https://www.neomutt.org/contrib/useful-programs

> PS: Found a little typo in the documentation of neomutt
> which slightly had confused (at least) me:

Thanks for  reporting that. It seems already fixed in our repository, we
just need to deploy that onto our website (which takes time at the
moment).

Regards,
toogley