[neomutt-devel] Use Buffers in Auto-Completion

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Sat Jun 24 01:00:16 CEST 2023

Hi Dennis,

> I'm new to NeoMutt development

Welcome!

> I stumbled upon the "Use Buffers in Auto-Completion" discussion
> https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/discussions/3899

That was quick, I only just posted it.

> Is this already a topic to actually tackle

It is, but unfortunately it's already promised to another dev.
We'd discussed the idea on IRC and that was some starting hints.

You can find us in: #neomutt on irc.libera.chat

web client: https://kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.libera.chat/#neomutt

> I've changed the complete_alias_query() method to get some feedback if
> this is what you intended

Yep, spot on.  Thanks.  I'll pass it on.

However, I've got a couple of other possible challenges for you.

The first is fairly simple and self-contained.
`mutt_mktemp()` - Convert the callers to use the Buffer version, `buf_mktemp()`.
Temporary Buffers can be obtained from `buf_pool_get()` / `buf_pool_release()`.
Once the callers have been converted, the macro/function can be dropped.

The second is to: Use Buffers in the MxAPI Path Functions #3902
https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/discussions/3902
These four functions are implemented by each of the backends, Imap,
Maildir, etc.

Interested?

Cheers,
    FlatCap / Rich