[neomutt-devel] [Feature Request] Inter Process Communication

Charalampos Kardaris ckardaris at outlook.com
Thu Nov 4 21:31:35 CET 2021

Hello,

Configuring my working environment, I was always wondering if it is
possible to send commands directly to the running neomutt instance.
Logically I found Issue #2 [1] on GitHub. I have searched if an
implementation has been provided, but it seems that the issue is
abandoned.

I would be interested in trying to implement such a feature. I started
reading the code and have managed to add a really basic conditional
inside monitor.c:mutt_monitor_poll in order to check if a socket I have
defined is ready to receive data. I have also managed to communicate
with an external program I wrote quickly. With the correct guidance I
don't believe it to be impossible to implement something quite useful.

One problem is that there is a comment above the mutt_monitor_poll
stating that
> * Only STDIN and INotify file handles currently expected/supported.
> * More would ask for common infrastructure (sockets?).

This implies that what I am proposing here has been requested many times
and for some reason has been shutdown.

Could you educate me on the matter? Additionally, if the feature is up
for grabs I would like some directions on how to move forward.

Best regards,
Charalampos

[1] https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/issues/2