[neomutt-devel] user-questions on github -> neomutt-users mailinglist

Ihor Antonov ihor at antonovs.family
Sat Mar 6 17:00:47 CET 2021

On 2021-03-06 16:39, toogley wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> So currently, people ask questions on our github issue tracker, like[1].
> Personally i think it would be great if the github issue tracker
> contained only bugs and feature requests as a smaller number of issues
> makes it easier to focus on. I remember flatcap once had this desire
> too, by wanting to stay below 100 issues by closing hard to fix
> problems.

I don't think this is a good idea in general.
Github is also a place to communicate for many people. Denying them of
of an opportunity to communicate in such way is unfriendly at minimum.

> Additionally, if those questions would be asked on our neomutt-users
> Mailinglist, i think the hurdle to answer such questions would be
> lowered as people can use neomutt. And no, using github's ability to
> answer things per mail is not a good replacement, i feel. At least i
> don't like it.
>
> So in short: what would you think if we closed every github issue with
> the type:question label and asked people to ask on the neomutt-users
> mailinglist if the question wasn't answerd?

Distilliing frequently asked questions and moving them to some FAQ
secion or WiKi is a different conversation. We could use some help
sorting through such issues and organizing them in a more accessible
format.

As a github user I often use Issues to ask questions. And I often get
good answers. I dont want to become Lennart Poettering and close things
I dont want or like on my issue tracker with WONTIFIX and NOTABUG.

----
Ihor