[neomutt-devel] Lua in neomutt | systematically finding segmentation faults

toogley toogley at nixnet.email
Thu Mar 4 11:37:55 CET 2021

Hey,

On Wed, Mar 03, 2021 at 04:13:29PM +0000, Richard Russon wrote:
> > So neomutt has a few quite complicated things,
> > for instance index_format
>
> Yes, this *is* complicated, but not for the visible reasons.
> The code to expand the %'s is fiendishly complicated and introduces some
> ugly dependencies in the code.

Ah, interesting. I didn't know that.

> > these things are not that readable
> > lua bindings this could be made more readable.
>
> One way to make them more legible would be to make them more verbose:
>
>     %{author} %{subject}
I think this is a great suggestion, but yes time is always lacking.

> > OpenBSD is more strict about memory errors
>
> Hmm...
> The Address Sanitizer and Valgrind are very strict (whatever the OS).

Yes, i agree. I guess what i am saying is: i think it would be good to
fail the CI if any memory error were to be thrown. Whether this is
detected by OpenBSDs kernel or valgrind or the address santizier doesn't
really matter i guess.

> > We could rent a builds.sr.ht machine
>
> Well that's very kind, if you're paying :-)

Maybe in the future, when my live is more stable.^^