[neomutt-devel] Lua in neomutt | systematically finding segmentation faults

Pietro Cerutti gahr at gahr.ch
Wed Mar 3 09:22:18 CET 2021

On Mar 03 2021, 03:21 UTC, Ihor Antonov <ihor at antonovs.family> wrote:
>On 2021-03-02 20:27, toogley wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>

>> 1) Lua
>> ------
>>
>> tldr; i think Lua bindings are of no use at the moment and could be
>> removed.

So it looks we finally agree on this one. Too bad your epiphany is
coming a bit too late, ...

>I agree with the spirit. Dead code must go. The real question is it
>"really" dead? I can't speak about how much this feature is used,
>perhaps flatcap or gahr know better. But given our current push for
>refactoring shedding off some code would only be a plus..

.... Ihor is right, at this point you don't know who's doing what with
what you put out there.

For the record, my stance back then was that Lua scripting support was
being pushed out too early, without a clear use case in mind, without
compelling examples, as a half-baked feature. What it allowed you to do
was basically limited to get and set NeoMutt variables.
The counterpart would assure me that the feature would be developed
further and enriched *after* it would be released, to give early
adopters the chance to contribute, and because maintaining the feature
branch was too hard. And after a few years, here we stand.

Let's hope this is a story we can at least learn from.

--
Pietro Cerutti