[neomutt-devel] Tagging Emails

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Sat Feb 27 15:42:09 CET 2021

Background: I'm trying to improve how NeoMutt internally handles tagged sets of emails.

If I tag ten emails, then perform an operation on them,
in which order would you expect them to be worked on?

For example, if you piped them to an external program

- User's sort order
  Top to bottom in the order they'd appear in the index
  (including any threading)

- Selection order
  The first email tagged would be processed first, and so on.
  Typically, the user would tag top-to-bottom in the index,
  so this could be the same as the sort order.

- Unseen order -- dependent on other factors, e.g. the mailbox type
  - Maildir:   Alphabetical
  - Imap:      By UID (Unique ID)
  - Generally: By memory address (for speed)

What do you think?

Cheers,
    Rich / FlatCap