[neomutt-devel] Renaming Config

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Wed Feb 10 11:58:14 CET 2021

I had a strange idea yesterday.

I was trying to remember the name of a config item,
but I couldn't remember if it had an underscore or not.

Then I thought, "we should fix that".
Here are my suggested renames

| Old Name                   | New Name                     | Description                                             |
| :------------------------- | :--------------------------- | :------------------------------------------------------ |
| `askbcc`                   | `ask_bcc`                    | Ask the user for the blind-carbon-copy recipients       |
| `askcc`                    | `ask_cc`                     | Ask the user for the carbon-copy recipients             |
| `autoedit`                 | `auto_edit`                  | Skip the initial compose menu and edit the email        |
| `confirmappend`            | `confirm_append`             | Confirm before appending emails to a mailbox            |
| `confirmcreate`            | `confirm_create`             | Confirm before creating a new mailbox                   |
| `crypt_autoencrypt`        | `crypt_auto_encrypt`         | Automatically PGP encrypt all outgoing mail             |
| `crypt_autopgp`            | `crypt_auto_pgp`             | Allow automatic PGP functions                           |
| `crypt_autosign`           | `crypt_auto_sign`            | Automatically PGP sign all outgoing mail                |
| `crypt_autosmime`          | `crypt_auto_smime`           | Allow automatic SMIME functions                         |
| `crypt_confirmhook`        | `crypt_confirm_hook`         | Prompt the user to confirm keys before use              |
| `crypt_replyencrypt`       | `crypt_reply_encrypt`        | Encrypt replies to encrypted messages                   |
| `crypt_replysignencrypted` | `crypt_reply_sign_encrypted` | Sign replies to encrypted messages                      |
| `crypt_replysign`          | `crypt_reply_sign`           | Sign replies to signed messages                         |
| `imap_servernoise`         | `imap_server_noise`          | Display server warnings as error messages               |
| `include_onlyfirst`        | `include_only_first`         | Only include the first attachment when replying         |
| `metoo`                    | `me_too`                     | Remove the user's address from the list of recipients   |
| `pgp_autoinline`           | `pgp_auto_inline`            | Use old-style inline PGP messages                       |
| `pgp_clearsign_command`    | `pgp_clear_sign_command`     | External command to inline-sign a message               |
| `pgp_getkeys_command`      | `pgp_get_keys_command`       | External command to download a key for an email address |
| `pgp_replyinline`          | `pgp_reply_inline`           | Reply using old-style inline PGP messages               |
| `pop_checkinterval`        | `pop_check_interval`         | Interval between checks for new mail                    |
| `realname`                 | `real_name`                  | Real name of the user                                   |
| `spoolfile`                | `spool_file`                 | Inbox                                                   |
| `ssl_usesystemcerts`       | `ssl_use_system_certs`       | Use CA certificates in the system-wide store            |
| `use_8bitmime`             | `use_8bit_mime`              | Use 8-bit messages and ESMTP to send messages           |
| `virtual_spoolfile`        | `virtual_spool_file`         | Use the first virtual mailbox as a spool file           |

Alternate version
    https://gist.github.com/flatcap/abcc4c03bd61c889a1ec57adf5badf34

The old names would still work (the config systems supports "synonyms")
See:
    https://github.com/neomutt/neomutt/blob/master/mutt_config.c#L760

What do you think?

Cheers,