[neomutt-devel] any interest in neomutt headless or as a library?

Richard Russon rich at flatcap.org
Mon Jul 20 14:59:59 CEST 2020

Hi Mike,

> I'm trying to replace "fetchmail" and integrate with my own mail processing logic.

Sounds fun

> any interest in neomutt headless or as a library?

Not directly, but I _have_ spent over four years breaking apart
dependencies so that this might be possible.

Upstream Mutt's code has two libraries.
NeoMutt has twenty-six :-)

> I ... hacked it up to implement partial functionality without curses ...

See: https://github.com/neomutt/test-library
Especially: test_conn.c and test_smtp.c

They link against the libraries, without the need for NeoMutt's main().

> This was easy

You're welcome :-)

> I had to hack up main() pretty significantly ...

Urgh.  main() *is* still a mess.
NeoMutt always does _some_ GUI initialisaion because there are still
some GUI dependencies deep within the code.  We're working on it, though.

> ... not start curses, but then drop into my own readline based
> command interpreter ... only good for debugging.

Sounds useful

> linking the shared object to my c++ code "mikemail" it appeared
> to read and send from an imap account

That's great

So... Let's see the code.

If it looks useful, are you prepared to help integrate it?
(I'll happily make time to mentor)

Cheers,
    Rich / FlatCap